Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Nearing The End

Each year when July begins, I'm elated.  Brian's busy life finally slows down.  He still has his second job, but he's on break from the regular school year, and all of the events that go along with it.  (Being a music teacher has got to be one of the most demanding teaching positions.)

For me, it is a time to enjoy seeing my husband without all the hectic coming and going.  It is a time to enjoy having someone else around to help with Caleb.  It is also a time for me to schedule as many doctor's appointments that I can so I don't have to drag my toddler with me (which, for the record, usually isn't pretty).  Summer is time to get out as a family and do some fun things together, things we never usually have the time to do.  It also provides the opportunity to get some long-awaited projects started around the house.

Then August hits.  Some of that elation fades a little.  We can still do fun things, but knowing that one month is down leaves me dreading the moment summer must end.

I always pray with Caleb as I nurse him before I put him to bed.  One thing I sometimes pray for is that we'll store up enough memories with Daddy during the summer to keep us from being lonely during the school year.

Our time is rapidly coming to an end.  It'll soon be time for groggy mornings with Daddy hurrying out the door.  Long days and long evenings at work for Brian... long days and evenings of missing Daddy for me and Caleb.  I can handle Brian's regular job.  That's what's normal.  What always is hard for me is the second job and all of the extra music events/competitions/programs/concerts/plays that come up during the school year.

These next couple of weeks, I'll be preparing myself.  Caleb and I will both have to adjust to the days without Daddy once again.  Caleb will have to get used to having far less rides on top of Daddy's shoulders.  I'll have to get used to juggling things on my own again... there'll be no one here to keep an eye on Caleb when I have to take care of the laundry, go to the bathroom, etc.

I know we'll make it.  We will adjust, but oh, how we'll look forward to each holiday Daddy has off.  Every vacation.  Every delayed opening and every snow day will be celebrated.  We'll relish all the time we'll have together on breaks.

But for now, summer isn't over just yet.  We'll still enjoy what we can, for as long as we can!