Friday, July 17, 2015

Becoming a Big Brother


The time has almost come for a huge transition in Caleb's life.  We want to be as sensitive toward him as we can, because for a toddler, it can be very difficult.  He's used to receiving all the attention he wants, and he'll have to learn to share.

We've tried to tell him about the new addition to our family who is soon to arrive, but how much he understands, we don't know.  Probably not much.  He knows something is in my belly, but he has never been around any babies, so I doubt he can grasp the full picture.  My midwife thinks little ones don't really understand this sort of thing until they are three.  When we first bring our new baby home, I'm sure Caleb will show lots of interest, as he does with most things.  He may, however, be surprised to see this little one is here to stay.  And when we simply can't get him what he wants, when he wants, I'm sure he'll let us know just how he feels.

The first hurdle to get through is simply leaving him here while we go to the hospital.  Even Brian is starting to get a little emotional about it and feeling sad that Caleb might be scared and confused while we are gone.  I keep talking to Caleb and telling him how sorry I am to be leaving him, but there is nothing else to be done.  (If I had a home birth, then Caleb would have to leave, for I surely wouldn't want him to hear me yelling through labor pains.)

I know that when the day comes and we have to head off, even though my mind will be filled with a thousand other concerns, kissing my little Caleb's face and hugging him tight will be my number one priority.  I dread leaving him.  Yes, even leaving him with my mother will be hard.  Not because I don't trust her.  The truth is, he doesn't know her or any members of our family very well at all due to the long distances.  That makes it doubly hard to leave him.  He has never been without us, ever.

(Please don't go interjecting comments like, "Oh, it will be good for him" or "Oh, he'll be fine". Really.  I've heard it all before already.  Yes, I know he will by all means survive the ordeal, but of course, it will be at least a little bit difficult for him.)

To help with the separation, I ordered a recordable book for Caleb.  Though pricey, we felt it was well worth it.  There's a brief story, and Brian and I plan to each take turns reading it while the book records our voices.  My mom will be able to play it for him while we are gone.  We thought it might be a comfort to him when we are not here.  I actually got this idea from my sister, who did this with her second, Lindsey, when the twins were born.   Lindsey was two at the time, and now six, and her book still remains her favorite.  We are hoping Caleb will love his book, too.


My sister purchased some new books for Caleb with the thought that I could read to him during nursing sessions, so he won't feel left out.  Here are two of the books she sent up:


We are so excited to meet our new baby and introduce our children to each other.  How exciting to soon be a family of four!

For now, here's a glimpse of our new little one.  This ultrasound was done this morning.  All fluids are looking good and so is the baby, praise God!


(Sorry, I am no good at taking photos of pictures!)