Monday, July 27, 2015

Nearing the Finish Line

Well, folks, here we are.  We've finally arrived at 39 weeks.  My mom is here.  My long to-do list is basically done.  (Of course, daily chores go on and on.)  My suitcase is nearly ready, with the exception of things like my glasses and makeup bag and the like.

On Friday night, I took a stumble down the stairs.  Brian was throwing the bags of recycling out, and I was trying to help him carry the excess down the stairs.  I don't know what happened, exactly.  All I know is that my foot missed a step and went sideways.  I fell on my rear, so I ended up hurting my foot badly, and my back, too.  It hurt!  I didn't even know what to do, it hurt so badly.  I thought I broke it or sprained it at the very least.

Brian set up Caleb's pool on the deck, and I soaked it in freezing cold water while he drove down to Rite Aid and picked up an Ace bandage for me.

I wondered how in the world this would affect labor if I lacked the ability to walk around.  The next morning, I dragged my battered self to the chiropractor, where he declared my back to be in pretty bad shape.  I got an adjustment and went home, where Brian demanded that I soak my foot again in Caleb's pool.  During that time, my parents arrived.

I'll fast forward a bit to say that my foot is doing much better.  It still hurts, and forget about touching it, but I can walk on it and I don't believe it will be a hindrance in labor.  I have to treat it gingerly, but it could be much, much worse.  If I am on the floor with Caleb, I feel a mess, between my huge belly, my sore foot, and my aching back.  It's a wonder I can get up at all without a forklift.

Other than this, we are doing well here, just waiting.  I am loving having my mom here, of course. Moms make everything better.  (My dad went back home, but will be back to pick her up.)  Today, we teamed up and she made homemade pasta sauce, and I made the meatballs.  We threw them together and had a wonderful spaghetti and meatball dinner. She's been a huge help in the kitchen, helping me keep it clean and orderly.  She vacuumed under my stove and washed my kitchen and hallway floors.

Caleb has done very well with her.  We gave him a dry run today and left him with her alone... the first time we've ever left him with anyone.  We figured it would be a good practice session before the hospital.  I had another chiropractor appointment, and then I had to go grocery shopping, while Brian had to get his oil changed.  Caleb did great!  He wasn't upset at all; he seemed to have fun with my mom and didn't even fight her when she needed to change his diaper.  (He often, but not always, fights me.)

I was very encouraged by this, and so far my plan is working.  I expect he may struggle over the course of the two nights Brian and I will be at the hospital.  We were, after all, only gone a little over an hour this morning, so this will be a huge difference.

My midwife is out-of-town beginning tomorrow through Sunday, which is my due date, so we shall see what will happen with all of this.  I am hoping the other midwife in the practice will come for the delivery should I go into labor this week, but it is in God's hands.  I pray daily, several times a day, in fact, for God to orchestrate everything according to His plan.

I am nervous, of course.  This is the most nerve-wracking time of pregnancy.  I am anxious to be done with it all and back home again with our Caleb.  I am a flutter of different emotions, so excited to meet our new baby, but dreading the lack of sleep and nightly nursing sessions, and being back up early again to take care of Caleb.  I do hope it won't take too long to get into the new routine.  I want to be the best mom I can be- to both of my children.

Please keep us in your prayers as we wind down these final days as parents of one!  We so appreciate all your prayers on our behalf!