Sunday, July 12, 2015

Combining Fun & Hard Work


On my to-do list for today, I had scheduled to install the car seats during Caleb's nap.  Then, I opened up my BabyCenter.com update today for 37 weeks, and it said this:

This week's activity  Figure out how to install your baby's car seat. You can't bring your baby home without a car seat and it's harder to install than you think, so don't wait until the last minute.

Wow!  I'm so glad to see that my plans are right-on!

Brian and I headed outside, and honestly, this is one grueling job.  It didn't help matters that it was stifling hot in the cars.  It takes the two of us to do this work, because I know how to connect the car seats to the car, use the latch points, etc..  I basically hook them up, and then Brian tightens them while I sit on the seats, pushing my weight into them so he can make the belts as tight as possible. 

First we had to uninstall Caleb's seat, which had been in the middle, and move it behind the driver's seat, and then we had to take the car seat mat out from Caleb's second seat, which is in my car. Since we did that, we had to re-tighten that car seat, which is much more of a pain in the neck since the car is so old, and we have to use the car seat belts instead of the more modern latch points.

Then, we moved the mat over to Brian's car, and installed the car seat base to the infant car seat. By the time we were done, we were sweating and exhausted.

But... it is done!  Another huge item off our to-do list!

Now I am beginning to pack for the hospital with the items I am able to pack ahead of time, and this week I'll be doing a few remaining cleaning projects, and I plan to do some more baby laundry this weekend after our church shower.  Things are really moving along!

After we took a bit of a much needed rest, we headed out to Lake Wallenpaupack.  We wanted to go for a brief walk to enjoy the fresh air and the view.  We all enjoyed it, but it was a bit uncomfortable for me at times, being so large.  I had packed Caleb's water and snack, but I had forgotten to pack any snack for myself, and I hadn't eaten anything in hours.  I warned Brian that my blood sugar was probably going to drop at some point, so he made it a priority to stop for a snack.  Sometimes, I need someone to take care of me, because I forget to do so!

On the way home, Brian had Caleb cracking up.  The Yankees had just scored a home run as we were listening to the radio, and Brian started to yell, "It is high!  It is far!  It is gone!" while pointing his finger in the air.  Caleb was in hysterics over it!  He thought it was the funniest thing ever!

Here are some photos from the day: